Monday, May 19, 2008

Have you spent/received your Rebate Check Yet?

If not, here's something interesting to think about. Today as I was reading Margo's blog, she had this interesting story about where to spend your rebate check:

"How to use Your IRS Rebate check...
As you may have heard, each of us will be getting a tax rebate check to stimulate the economy.


If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China (have you seen the commercial about buying their gift card and they will cash your check free?). If we spend it on gasoline, it will go to the Arabs. If we purchase a computer, it will go to India. If we purchase fruits and vegetables it will go to Honduras and Guatemala. If we purchase a good car it will go to Japan. If we purchase useless stuff it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America. The only way to keep that money here at home is to spend it at yard sales, since those are the only businesses left owned by Americans!!"

I agree with Margo, spend your money in America, go to a Yard Sale, your favorite Antique Shop, Resale Shop, or just go junkin'... I know I did this weekend and here's what I found:



P.S. The dress form didn't look like that when I bought it. It was stained and mildewed, but thanks to Heather's article I'm slowly redoing her.

Also, went to check out the Home Goods Store and found a lot of cool things from Ralph Lauren sheets at a really great price, wicker furniture, French style furniture, garden statues, and other great things, but the only thing I bought was a glass Apothecary Beverage Server:



12 comments:

  1. brilliant idea! like i needed another excuse to go junkin'!! :)
    TJMaxx/Homegoods is the best place to find Ralph Lauren sheets... they are my fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw an email regarding chicken coming from China...totally gross. Everyday they go through these chicken farms and p/u dead chickens and, well, I won't go into it all. But they go so far as to "dye" the chickens so they look healthy and resell them to...guess who? WalMart. Moral of this story is CHECK YOUR FOOD LABELS!!! Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great idea, funny but true!! I really only enjoy buying something used. I am glad to see you are doing your part to stimulate the American economy!!Wonderful treasures. I love the dress form and the carts with the curved tops are great!
    JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!! And I've been checking my mailbox for that check..everyday. Maybe it will come this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea Theresa!! Keeping the money here would be so much better for our economy...shop on Etsy too, right? So many artists are selling their handmades, there's so much wonderful stuff to be had!! Hope you're doing good :) xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That piece of advice is the epitome of thinking globally but acting locally! We support our local junk shops/farmers markets and (not to plug them) Whole Foods. Plant a vegetable garden if you can!
    Thanks for putting out there
    xo lulu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only does it help the economy here, but we are also recycling every time we go junkin'!! We are being eco-friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. Lets all go to yard sales this weekend! Looks like you found some wonderful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the best idea I have heard in a long long time--way to go Margo, and thanks T for sharing it! Love RL sheets too!

    Blessings,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well then, I can honestly say I am doing my very best to stimulate the american economy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! What a great post! And yep, I'm thinking that's where mine is going to - yard sales and fleas! LOL.
    Great finds!

    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right! Oh, I'm drooling over that dressform! You know that is my newest addiction!!

    Please stop by my Friday Flea Market when you get a chance!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy your comments and you stopping by!

Thank you so much for following: