Friday, July 10, 2009

Distant Memories

Have you ever loved someone so much that you literally have felt the pain of losing them to your very core, even 22 years after they are gone, it's still as fresh as if it were yesterday. I don't really know what made me think of my aunt and uncle (who were more like my grandparents) and my grandmother today, but something brought them to memory (My grandmother and aunt were sisters and always lived near each other until they were older and then they lived next door and then together in the later years).


(My Uncle Reub, Mom, Sis and me)

Could it have been that the thought that July brought back memories of sitting on their porch late in the evening with them, watching the fire flies and eating water melon that yes was grown in their garden, dripping with juice running down your face, laughing, and not having a care in the world. Or could it have been baking pies and cakes that only my aunt could have taught me to do brought back memories as I made cakes for my family this past July 4th. Even my grandmother's not so perfect chocolate pie that only she could make from scratch came to mind.


There's my uncle in his younger years sitting on the ground eating water melon. My aunt is facing toward the camera. This would have to have sometime between the 1920's-30's.

Or was it the last Christmas holiday we all spent together, so many years ago, when we all gathered at my aunt's house to celebrate was just a distant memory? It's been so many years since we've gathered there. The smells of turkey, cornbread dressing, freshly baked pies and all the other dishes that she worked so hard to make came to mind. For me, spending Christmas at their house was such joy. I knew in the morning I would awake to a great breakfast and then help them prepare the meal we would all enjoy that evening.


No, it was probably the cucumber, tomatoe and onions soaked in vinegar I made this past 4th for my son, that could have brought my uncle to mind. Remembering him up at the crack of dawn, eating breakfast (eggs over easy please) with freshly made biscuits and sneaking a piece of bacon knowing good and well the doctor told him to lay off pork. He'd motion with his hand, ssshhh, don't tell Sis or she'll get onto me (Sis is what everyone called my aunt). Watching him pour hot coffee into a saucer from his cup and drink his coffee black of course from the saucer. I've never seen anyone drink coffee this way since him. Then out to the garden he would go until my aunt called him in for lunch. He'd come in so hot from the heat but it didn't ever seem to bother him. My youngest son is named after him and as I watch him I can see some of the same mannerisms in him that my uncle had. I know he is named appropriately.


Or maybe it was the thought of late in the evening sitting with them eating frozen pizza and watching Gunsmoke or Hee Haw (do you even remember these shows on TV). Drinking cokes only on Sundays before church was a luxury. We never got to drink cokes during the week and from a glass bottle at that. It was so good or so it seemed then.


Watching them love my boys like they were their own grandkids was such a real treat. These memories can never be replaced!! Thank you for all the life lessons you taught me. For all the good times and laughs we had. For taking me fishing, having picnics with the best tuna fish sandwiches ever (wrapped in wax paper of course) and oh the homemade tea cakes (for those that have never heard of this, it's an old fashioned southern cookie, sort of like a sugar cookie), lemonaide and sweet tea was so good.

Planting marigolds with my aunt was always so much fun. Spending time at my grandmother's house next door, sitting on her back porch to see if any snakes were in site before I climbed the tree was like an adventure. Picking blue bell flowers (which are in season now) and then putting them in a vase to sit on the table, they always seemed to brighten the mood. I miss you Sis, Uncle Reub (short for Reuben) and Mamaw so much.


There we are all again. I just adored them.

I've decided to do a series of their life in Walker County, so stay tuned for more of how they lived their life.



My aunt and grandmother were somewhere amongst the group of kids at the Old School House-San Jacinto School, in the community where I grew up at called West Sandy (Walker Co. Tx.). You can read more about this community here. I could not locate a clear picture of my grandmother, but I hope to get a better one before my next post.

26 comments:

  1. Teresa, I love hearing your family story. I think is't wonderful that you are going to write them all down...good to give to your own children. Love the old photos.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching post, it seems like you had a wonderful childhood. It's amazing how thoughts of certain foods can really take you back in time. I lost both of my parents many years ago, and sometimes I think of something only my Mom would know and I reach for the phone....it sometimes feels like just yesterday that she was here. Thanks for reminding me to cherish those memories.
    Have a good weekend,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old pictures are so wonderful. Such great memories of your family ...

    I love the old frames grouped together in your header. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you when I think back to special times like that, it's the everyday times you remember. Front porch "visiting" times of family come to mind too. Picking tomatoes or green beans with my Grandmother, or sitting in the kitchen while she cooked. I wonder if she knew those were the things that would be remembered.
    I want my grandchildren to have these memories of me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to have fond memories of family life. You are so fortunate for the family values you have received. I know that you enjoy your two boys and have and are making memories for them to enjoy also. Blessings to you and your family. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet tribute to those you love, sugar. I understand what you mean though.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful story! So many of your pictures reminded me of my mom growing up in Texas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank-you for making the time to share wonderful collection meomories about your family.Especialyy over a cup of coffe.I felt as I could be there right along your side with each little story.Its absolutly great that you keep them still in spirit.Im looking 4ward 2 reading more.Have a great weekend!! Chickie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Theresa, just loved this post! So endearing and so the smell of summer! It brings back all those same tender memories of my grandparents too. My BigMomma and BigDaddy drank their coffee the same way - all whilst eating a great southern breakfast of buttermilk bisquits and ham and redeye gravy. But he didn't have a tooth in his head!!!!
    Awe Sweet,Sweet Summertime.
    (I can hardly bear that it's practically half over!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful memories you've shared. And so well put! Being able to appreciate the people in your past makes you better able to appreciate things from the past, too! Thanks for the beautiful perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes... I remember Gun Smoke and Hee Haw all to well, I loved watching them with my Daddy, thanks for bringing back the memories!! Now I am starting to feel old!! Blessings, Janna

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful for you to have such sweet memories of your loved ones. As a child, Summertime was always spent outdoors, which is something I miss...we can't do much of that these days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teresa ~
    Those are such wonderful memories ~ they make me think of the times like that with my grandma and grandpa ~ what precious precious memories !
    xoxo,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful memories you brought back for me! Sounds much like the experiences and relatives I have/had in Oklahoma. And did I watch Hee Haw..."Gloom despair and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...Gloom despair and agony on me"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teresa, I loved that story. I had little family of my own and my mom and dad and a brother are gone now. Tell me more about the family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful post, so heartfelt. isn't lovely to have memories of such lovely people that still are touching your life. love your photos....

    ReplyDelete
  17. what beautiful memories...and you told them so well, i almost felt as if i were there with you...this was the sweetest post...what a treasure that you have so many family pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What cherished memories! I think time is the gift God gave us to heal the heart, but give me a second and I can cry like crazy for those I've lost. Can't wait to read more about your precious childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing..lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice post, love to here stories of days gone by!! I have to say I love your header(I always do)....talk to you soon,Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  21. So special, those thoughts that bring you back to a place where it was just good to BE...be apart of things that helped shape you into the person you are today. Memories are a blessing. Thanks for the reminder.
    marcie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the family story. It was fun seeing you at the Red Barn show. Can't wait til Zapp and all the fun people that surround that area. Some day I will have to set up a blog as I read them all! White is my thing too, as you see!!!!!!!!!Joyce of Shillings Antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Teresa,
    Funny, my sister and i were on a road trip this weekend and were reminiscing about summertime...strawberry floats made from the strawberry soda in the glass bottle and how they just don't taste the same today, family picnics when ALL of the family came. Thanks for sharing some of your wonderful memories!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. What wonderful memories of your family, Theresa. I love all of those old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet story, and great pictures. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great post, T. Isn't amazing how memories just come back to life...the smells, the nuances of other people, the sounds. Thank you for sharing your relatives. I can't wait to read more about them.
    xo lulu

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy your comments and you stopping by!

Thank you so much for following: