30 Days and the countdown begins until you can shop until you drop!!
Here's the scoop:
- Not all shows open on the same day. I know for some this is hard to understand. The show I'm at, Zapp Hall, opens on Friday, March 25, but the Bar W show and several others will open about a week before our show opens.
- Then, there's Marburger Farms. They won't even open until Tuesday, March 29.
- The Big Red Barn Show opens that Wednesday on March 30.
- For more info. when all the shows open, check out The Show Daily. They'll have all the dates and maps and where to shop. If you've never been to these shows, it covers several towns that are all near each other and the Show Daily maps this out for you. This is a must have at the shows if it's your first time. You should be able to find a copy at the shows.
Check us out, we were in the last Show Daily issue, which you can now view online:
I recently read in a new magazine that mentioned flea market tips while you are at the Round Top shows, but I don't agree with what they said. The article said to "not" bring a shopping cart because the grounds were too bumpy and to bring a large canvas bag instead.
- I disagree, because if you are buying several things, after walking for hours carrying those things they can get heavy. Besides a cart will allow you to bring drinks and snacks and the grounds aren't that bumpy that you can't roll the cart around.
The Spring shows are also very different than the Fall shows, weather wise. It seems so hot in the Fall and much cooler in the Spring, so don't forget to dress in layers.
- It can be cool starting out but it will probably warm up before the end of your day. They are forecasting a cooler show this time. You almost always have to bring clothes for all seasons when you're in Texas.
1. Wear Comfortable Shoes - remember you are in the country and the grounds can be unlevel.
2. Dress in Layers (see my note above).
3. Bring a shopping cart with a liner to carry your purchases in (also see my note above)
4. Bring water and snacks. You need to stay hydrated while you are shopping and snacks will help you keep your energy so you can keep going.
5. Bring cash and small bills. Some dealers do not except checks, while most do, but only a small few accept credit cards. Also, remember a lot of dealers are no longer excepting OUT OF STATE checks.
6. Find a show map to become familiar with all the shows that are here and try to arrive as early as you can at the shows for the best selections. See my note above about The Show Daily.
7. Bring a small notebook and pen to write down what you've purchased and it will also help you remember if you need to go back and pick up things and where it's located. It may be helpful to bring a small measuring tape if you are needing to measure something.
8. Be nice when working with vendors. You don't know just how hard we all work to find you the coolest things we can, clean it, price, haul it and display it, and courtesy can go a long way in this business.
9. Remember to inspect what you are purchasing. All sales are final and you can not return an item and expect to get your money back. Shows vendors are also required to charge tax, so if you do not have a tax number, you will have to pay sales tax. However, if you do have a tax number it's always a good idea to carry a copy with you because many will require to see it.
10. Bring packing materials, blankets, bubble wrap etc. to wrap your purchases in when you get back to your vehicle. Bungee cords or twine are also helpful when tying things down to your vehicle.
11. Ask vendors if you are looking for certain items but maybe don't see it. Sometimes they have merchandise that is still in their trailers or they may have it and your eye doesn't see it. Also, if you are uncertain about things ask the vendors questions. If you are interested in something the vendor can sometimes offer more information about an item.
12. There are always parties you can attend at the shows. Find out through the vendors what parties they may know of. Here are just a few that I know of:
- Friday, March 25: Clutter Show Opening Day Party at 4pm
- Sunday, March 27: **My Blog Party** ~ you do not have to have a blog to attend. More details to follow about this soon.
- The Texas Rose Show Monday evening party on March 28
- Junk Gypsy Prom on Thursday, March 31! Don't Miss It.
14. Watch the weather for the shows. It can be storming one minute, sunny the next, cloudy and over cast on another day and snowing before you know it. Yes we have literally experienced every one of these weather conditions during one show. It happened during one of the Spring Shows, only in Texas!
15. The most IMPORTANT ONE is to have Fun!! This is your time to find cool stuff and just have fun doing this.
Hope to see you at the shows!!