Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Spring Antique Show

****** REPOSTED FROM September 13, 2014 ******


I’ve always considered the Round Top/Warrenton Antique Show as my “soul vacation”.  I first heard this term used by the Junk Gypsies and for many years when I worked full-time this was my only vacation.  While it may have been a working vacation, I really didn’t mind the fact that I worked harder at this job than I did my full-time job.   

Now that I’ve retired, it still rings true.  I still work harder at this than any 9-5 job I could have.  

(one of my fav booth sets ups during a previous show at Zapp Hall)

I usually set out early carrying down one of many loads to get ready for the show.  Sometimes I feel like my truck looks like this:



I love the drive that I make to Warrenton.  Once I hit Highway 237 I know I’m almost home free.  It’s always such a beautiful drive there.  Once I see this sign I know I've made it:



Normally I’m making the drive from my home but this year, I’ll be coming in from a different direction, since I'll be at the Fredericksburg Trade Days the weekend before and then will head down on Sunday once the show ends.

Setting up in a cow pasture/field for two weeks is indescribable.  I have friends that have never been and they ask me to explain what it’s like to be there.  It’s hard to do this, you’ll actually have to come and experience it for yourself but I’ll try to give you a taste of what it’s like here.


This is a small idea of what you'll see in any direction.  (Pic: All things Beautiful)

You can find me and my wares at the Renck Hall field in the heart of Warrenton.  It’s located between Bar W and Zapp Hall shows.  Just look for this sign:


When you arrive, you will see treasures in every direction.    You might even see a boat:
  
The show covers miles and miles and this will cover many towns so be prepared to be in awe from all that you see and maybe an occasional traffic jam:


Take your time and enjoy all that catches your eye.   You might see a lot of legs:


 Get there early and be prepared to walk and then drive some.

Since I stay fairly close to where I'm selling, I usually wake up early, coffee is already brewing or bacon frying and people are stirring getting ready for the day.  Sometimes I'll get a quiet hello, or just a nod.  Something always catches my eye and then I'll notice dew is still on the treasures.   

There’s just a peacefulness and calmness here that can’t be reproduced in any part of the world.  You won’t find big box stores here, but if you are looking for one of a kind treasure, great stories to be told, peaceful mornings, a small piece of Heaven, hanging out with friends and laughing until your sides hurt, and just an indescribable experience then come to this small Texas town.  We’ll leave the light on for ya!!

Oh and don't forget your boots and prom dress because there is always a party to go to and especially the Prom held by the Junk Gypsies at Zapp Hall.



See you at Renck Hall field starting on March 23 and I'll be there until April 4!!  And yes there will be a Blog Party, but this year Tiffany with Flown The Coop in Burton Tx will host the party.  Please click on her Facebook page HERE for details.


7 comments:

  1. What a great description of why working incredibly hard setting up and selling at a show really can be a vacation. Good luck and good sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I Hope to make the trek out to see it for myself for my own Soul Vacation. For now I'll have to live vicariously thru the Land of Blog Posts about the Experience. Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  3. What struck me in your blog are 2 things...I work really hard for this only vacation I take where all my twice per year friends are and the lack of box stores. Here in California, there's a strip mall or box everywhere. ..there, the view is free if that and full of treasures. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great description of the greatest show on dirt. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, thank you! I'll see you and Betsy before heading to Warrenton. It's gonna be a fun time...

      Delete

I so enjoy your comments and you stopping by!

Thank you so much for following: