Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The White House

No, this is not another blog post about elections or governments, but it's about the color white that so many of us love to decorate our homes with. I read a while back where someone commented that white wasn't really a color? However, it is and there are many shades to white, vanilla, cream, grayish white tones and no two colors of white seem to be the same, but they some how all work together. White is such a soothing color and when you use a splash of color, it just becomes the center of attention.

I'm always inspired to read books that show white in their decorating and I have many in my collections. I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures with you:



At Home With White is one of favorite books that I often turn to for inspiration.


(Taken from At Home With White book)

The one thing I know I am always drawn to is white pottery. McCoy is probably my all time favorite and I normally don't part with it unless I come across an exact piece. However, I've been known not to part with even the duplicate piece and just put it in a different spot or group them together.


(As seen in the Decorating Naturally book)

What is it about clear glass, apothecary bottles, jars, vases, compotes, glasses that I'm drawn to. I guess it's the sheer fact that you can place the grouping together and use them any time of the season and against a white backdrop, it just blends seamlessly.


(Seen in The New French Decor book)

French decorating, who isn't drawn to the allure of France or the English countryside. I know that's my dream vacation, but until I get the nerve to get on an airplane, I'll just buy French inspired decorating books.


(As seen in the Vintage Vavoom book)

What could more romantic than a white bathroom with a chandelier under a canopy. Okay, I know who has time to soak in a tub, but as busy women we should make time for ourselves.


(As seen in the Simply Romantic Decorating book)

I say the more mirrors, the merrier. I love mirrors and if the silver is missing the more I want it. You can group them together or a large mirror can make a statement in a room. See how adding a slash of color with the flowers just makes everything else pop in the room.



I envisioned this place to be in a French Chateau with someone sitting in front of the fire relaxing, but it's actually from Jessica McClintock's home in California. What an inspirational designer she is. I used to love to watch the episodes of her home when they showed them on House Beautiful.


(As seen in the Decorating Naturally book)

Okay, haven't we all dreamed of sleeping under the stars or on a sleeping porch. Well, not if you live in Texas, the humidity would be miserable and if that didn't keep you awake the mosquitoes would. I really love the simplicity of this room.

Here's my version of white and since I meant to show you the prom dress I found this weekend during my previous post, I thought this would be the perfect time to. I found the dress when we were in Canton. The minute I spotted it, I just loved it. I think the dress will be a winner this fall during the Junk Gypsy Prom.



Let me know your ideas about decorating with white.

12 comments:

  1. OMG that DRESS it too die for !!!!!

    Off white/beige is what I am changing my decor to. Have had the heavy, dark English look for too long now. I need a little lite and lively.

    Have to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to go for ivory myself...and I love McCoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it love it love it! You and Lauri are slowly turning me into a white fanatic.
    THE PROM DRESS IS GREAT! Can't wait to C U flitting around at the Prom
    xo lulu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like white...but everytime I try to do that...color just seems to seep slowly back in. LOL. But I do like the look, so very peaceful.

    c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress! I really enjoy looking at white decorating, but when I'm in a white room, I feel a little antsy, wishing for more than a splash of color to engage my senses. Still, I'm impressed with how it looks.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress! I could totally soak in that tub with the canopy and chandelier! :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have the book At Home With White and LOVE IT! Those images are so soothing and alluring. Jessica McClintock's book Simply Romantic Decorating is just about my favourite book of them all. Her San Francisco home is positively too die for!

    Beautiful post.

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SWEET dress!! Why do we like apothecary jars and such? Because we can corral all our little white things in them!!

    Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a collection of milk glass in my cabinet. I do love the different colors of white together. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post! I'm working on a white room at the lake. I've always wanted to do that, so decided now is the time.

    All the images are beautiful!
    Thanks!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!!! I would decorate in all white if I could!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There must be something in the air, as even with many miles between Australia & the U.S., I'd been thinking about white too & my weekend post yesterday has the same theme!
    Thank you so much for such lovely photos.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy your comments and you stopping by!

Thank you so much for following: